Monday, June 05, 2006

#2 - The Gazebo (Part3)

We met when I was doing part-time work. We started dating each other and seeing more and more of each other every day, not knowing that we were falling in love. Soon we became a couple. Our relationship was everything it should have been, almost as if our time together had been written for a novel.

We grew closer and closer during the school year. We would go to the movies, go out to eat, go shopping and most of all... Just to be with each other for a long time. I could hardly sleep at night, just anticipating the next time I would see him and the upcoming weekend we would be together. I shared everything with him, even things I kept from my family and my best friend.


Realization......


Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end. Just like every other day, I went to school, saw Wilson and came home. I was in my own little world, living a fairytale life, when my parents called me in their room, and told my brother to go outside to watch T.V. "Sit down darling." My dad said, with a disappointment in his voice. I looked at my mother. We exchanged a look.

My parents had found a picture of Wilson and I. His arm was around me in the picture. We were sitting right next to each other. From where I come from, girls are not even allowed to have guy friends. In our culture we have arranged marriages. You first get married and then learn to fall in love.

Love before marriage is forbidden. We have to marry someone who is Indian, not only that but he/she must be from the same cast as you are, or the society doesn't accept you. I saw my parents holding the picture that they had found in my wallet.

My heart was beating faster by the seconds. I didn't know what to say. "Who is this guy? Why is his arm around you? Where did you meet him? How far have you gone with him? Are you pregnant?" My parents started asking questions, and they jumped to conclusions without knowing the full facts.

The fact that Wilson is white made them even angrier with me. "How could you do this to us? You let us down. You were our pride." My mother said, with tears in her eyes. I hurt them. I lied to them, just like every other time I had, when I went to go see him. "Mom, I am NOT pregnant. I wouldn't do anything to let you guys down. I met him at Jessica's birthday party, and I took a picture with him."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home